Friday, April 17, 2009

Stadiums

It pissed me off to no-end yesterday watching the Yankee game and not noticing any wildly dramatic differences between the new stadium and the old. The view from the center field camera? I could not have guessed it was a new field. Double down the right field line? The way the RF fielded the ball in the corner, I would have guessed it was the old stadium. The ball hugged the wall in the exact same fashion. The black seats in CF, the facade, the dimensions, it goes on and on...

Meanwhile, CitiField is a circus...a pathetic hybrid of Ebbets Field, Camden Yards, The Jake, Houston's Enron/Minute Maid, Coors, The Ballpark at Arlington, the new Comiskey(or the old Comiskey with the chain link field level fence in the outfield). But the real killer for me is the god damn Slurve of a warning track in Right-Center Field. I hate the brick behind home plate, I hate the Pepsi sign, and I hate the Black fence in left center and its strange height.

I'll have more once I've been to each park, but for now the Yankee legacy lives on and the Mets continue to struggle to find an identity. Seaver and Piazza throwing and catching the opening pitch was comforting, but what else do we have? We don't even have our team colors, Blue and Orange.

Unlike the Tar Heels, I'm not quitting the Mets. But I am desperate for a reason to be excited or a reminder of why I'm a lifelong Met fan. A new house isn't enough. A John Maine no-hitter would be nice (actually I'd prefer Pelphrey but he's hurt), Beltran hitting .370 would be nice, Jose Reyes walking 80 times and stealing 80 bases would be nice, K-Rod saving 60 games would be nice, Delgado hitting the Pepsi sign...give me a reason to Believe!

No comments:

Post a Comment