Tuesday, April 14, 2009

April Sports Television

I'm struggling now that the Final Four and The Masters have come and gone and with Spring waiting to arrive here in the Northeast. Others bemoan the weeks following the Super Bowl as the dullest stretch in American Sports, but I contend that this period is far worse.

Obviously, baseball is upon us and I did peek at last night's Mets home opener at the new CitiField. The talk radio is already slamming David Wright and Jose Reyes for not hustling to first-base. Has anyone else ever felt their hamstring about to pop because they were playing baseball in April in 50-degrees and went from standing still for 2+ hours to a full-on sprint? Of course guys aren't going to hustle to first every time! And get off your high horses for slamming those who do not. I don't care if they get paid millions...it's your problem for worshiping these baseball drones If you want nine David Ecksteins, then you can have them. Alas, there's no GM that does. Again, this Blog is not meant to bash baseball but it's just too early for me to worry about the Mets bullpen, etc.

So what is there to watch?
  • Have you ever had a friend who randomly decided he was going to choose a NASCAR driver or an English Premier League soccer team and suddenly become a fanatic of that driver or club? I do not recommend either, but I do recommend the NHL Playoffs. I'm excited to watch the Rangers and High Definitition TV makes it all the more fun. Heck, I might even try to go to a game at MSG. Stay tuned for more on the NHL...
  • The NBA playoffs can be entertaining, but it appears that we're destined for a Lebron vs Kobe Finals. The NBA sure could use the Knicks and the Bulls in the Eastern Conference race, but that appears to be a few years away. Thankfully, the Celtics will challenge the Cavs, but will the Lakers hit any roadblocks? It seems doubtful. Nevetheless, I love TNT's 40 Games in 40 Nights. Plus, you get to hear tons of hysterical commentary from Charles Barkely.
  • The Haney Project: The Golf Channel hit a homerun with this series which features Charles Barkley and Hank Haney, Tiger Woods' swing coach. Catch the re-runs to see Sir Charles hacking up the course and improving his golf swing little by little. Not to be missed!

I cannot recap The Masters and do it justice. I'm just sad that it is over and I look forward to one day walking the grounds of Augusta National. I will say that Phil Mickelson has really grown on me. Phil's skill, competitive spirit, gracious demeanor with the media, and his newfound confidence that he's going to win more majors...way to go Phil. Can't wait to have you back to Bethpage!

No comments:

Post a Comment